Yeast is hard to come by these days…

Yes, I know, not exactly the title you were expecting for an education blog, huh? Sadly, that is what it has come to these days. As I mentioned earlier, we are in the middle(?) of this pandemic and people really be going crazy. They are stocking up on everything from toilet paper to all sorts of meat, and yes…yeast. Because people make bread nowadays???

Anyways, in the sake of trying to keep myself from stockpiling and going bananas in my home, I decided to break out and see my girlfriend, Brianna. After we both were dismissed from our college campuses, we made a list of things to do in “quarantine”. One of those things was to make our own everything bagels. This was something I saw one of my Twitter followers do about a week prior.

So we went out, bought our toppings (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced garlic, onion powder), the rest of our ingredients…but we could not find yeast ANYWHERE. Seriously, who needs yeast these days?? Thankfully, I needed to get gas (and BJs is CHEAP – $1.79/gal!) so we decided to make it a whole shopping trip and ran inside to find our missing ingredient. Fortunately, we found enough yeast to last a lifetime…it’s BJs, everything is in bulk.

The dough cannot rise without the yeast! Finally, we were able to begin our process. And it was pretty cool!

I had never kneaded dough before. But I sure needed it for the bagels!

Apparently you are supposed to boil bagels before you bake them?? Yeah, this was news to me too. The boiling mixture calls for two quarts of water and one-fourth of a cup of honey. Supposedly, the honey helps created the nice golden-brown color on the outside of the bagels. Then, an egg wash is applied so you can add the toppings. After, simply throw them in the oven for 20-25 minutes and you are done!

Brianna seems very happy with the finished product

Let. Me. Tell. You. These were some of the best bagels I have ever had. Everyone always says, it tastes better when you make it yourself. I do not know if it was because I made them, or if I am just going a little stir-crazy, but I would definitely do it again. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know! An easy, fun, family activity to keep everyone occupied during all of this.

Maybe, if we get together again, I can make some of everyone to share. Miss you all. See you in class soon! ‘Til next time.